Halloween chocolate eyeballs
Updated: Tue, 26 October, 2021
Freshly gauged eyeballs in red slime! Perfect for Halloween breakfast or dessert.
Delicious white chocolate ganache truffles, scarily adorned. My best trick here is how to make slime: simply add food colouring to corn syrup and you can have drinks and dessert plates dripping with fresh blood or green gunk…
The eyeballs are really easy and fun to make, and you don't have to be very artistic to make them lifelike - or rather deathlike... But this recipe is not just crudely melted and shaped white chocolate - it's actually the most delicious white truffle recipe so chalk it up for the other 364 days of the year!
How to make chocolate eyeballs
They are made with white chocolate ganache, which is a mix of chocolate and cream. The easiest way to do make ganache is in the microwave. Instead of melting the chocolate, boil the cream and add chopped chocolate to it – the hot cream will do the melting job.
Ganache can be made with white, milk or dark chocolate. It is also as firm or runny as you want, depending on what proportion of cream to chocolate you use. This mix, not only for eyeballs but for truffles in general, is about 1:2.5 cream to chocolate.
More Halloween treats: spooky, scary or simply terrifying!
Make up a huge batch of fluffy sweet meringue mix and let the little ones run riot piping deathly white bones and cute ghosts with eyes painted with edible ink pens. Besides, the recipe for meringue is just the best mix for any kind of meringue cookies.
Zombie fingers – bwahahahaha! Deathly pale, slightly rotten around the almondy nails and surprisingly easy to make. And the shortbread recipe is a keeper!
And a completely grown-up if needs be, fudgy chocolate cake: so dense, sticky and black it’s called Morticia’s cake.
Plus a simple carrot cake mix for Halloween cupcakes and a spider web chocolate cake recipe.
Trick or treat!
halloween chocolate eyeballsServings: 6-8Time: 30 minutes plus chilling ganache
- 200g (7oz.) white cooking chocolate or chocolate chips
- 80g (1⁄3 cup) double cream
- 1 tsp butter
- For decoration:
- green and blue writing icing gels
- black chocolate buttons
- corn syrup
- red food colouring
1. Break up the chocolate into pieces as small as possible. Put the cream and butter in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds until it boils vigorously. Immediately add the chocolate and leave to stand (in the microwave) for a minute or two. Whisk together into smooth ganache. Chill for at least a couple of hours or overnight.
2. Scoop the ganache with a teaspoon and roll into balls, the size of an eyeball of course.
3. Paint green and blue iris on each eyeball with the icing gel and stick a chocolate button in the middle for a pupil.
4. Drop the red food colouring into a small quantity of corn syrup until it’s sufficiently bloody. Draw blood vessels on the eyeballs with a toothpick dipped in the red syrup (or use an edible ink pen if you have one and it works well on chocolate).
5. Stick the eyeballs on toothpicks skewered into an apple or something similar and chill to dry.
6. Serve with more blood - erm, slime.
NEW recipe finder
Ingredients lying around and no idea what to cook with them? Then use my NEW Recipe Finder for inspiration!
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published
You are subscribed to push notifications.
You have unsubscribed.
We'd like to notify you about the latest recipes and updates
You can unsubscribe from notifications at any time