carrot cupcakes with orange frosting
Sun, 26 October, 2014
Best cupcakes ever, adopted for Halloween. Best because carrot cake mix is a/ comforting, b/ easy to make with kids and c/ smuggles through a bit of five-a-day doesn’t it? Just kidding.Topping here is buttercream but cream cheese frosting, the classic, would work as well. The orange should be much more in-your-face but my food colouring must have been of the super-subtle variety.
carrot cupcakes with orange frostingServings: 12 cupcakesTime: an hour and a half
- For the carrot cake mix: recipe here, skip the raisins and replace the oil with 120g melted cooled butter.
- For the buttercream frosting:
- 100g softened butter
- 200g icing sugar
- zest from two oranges
- juice from one orange
- orange food colouring (optional)
1. Prepare the cake mix according to the recipe and spoon into a muffin tin lined with paper or silicone cases. Bake in an oven preheated to 180C/350F/gas 4 for about 25 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely.
2. Prepare the frosting: beat the butter with a mixer or blender until fluffy, then add the icing sugar and beat together. Add the orange zest and the food colouring and beat well. Whisk in the orange juice, little by little until a spreading consistency is reached.
3. When the cupcakes are cold, place the frosting in a piping bag with a fancy, swirly attachment and pipe over the cakes. Decorate with whatever ghastly, Halloweeny sprinkles you can get hold of.