Whipped feta with hazelnuts
Mon, 30 March, 2020
Creamy, salty, crunchy with hazelnuts and fragrant with fresh mint, whipped feta and hazelnut dip is my all-time favourite.
Whipped feta is a dip so classically should be scooped on crackers, crudités, breadsticks or whatever else anyone fancies to dip in the dip. But I love this one so much I just eat it out of the bowl with a soup spoon.
There are different versions of whipped feta depending whether and what other dairy you add to it. There are purists who think whipped feta should be whipped feta and nothing else, bar flavourings and/or herbs. I generally agree with that view but a tablespoon of yoghurt loosens up the mix a little and the tablespoon of double cream makes it whip fluffier.
Dips on the whole are a bit pointless: on what occasion, apart from a party buffet, would you have them? No good for dinner, lunch just about but seem a bit too fussy and not suited to the breakfast scene. That’s why my approach works: I make a bowlful of whipped feta and eat it and the time of day or meal is incidental.
And if you think shovelling it up with a spoon on its own is a bit obscene, do the next best thing: pile the dip onto cherry tomato halves. It is the marriage made in heaven.
whipped feta with hazelnutsServings: 3-4Time: 15 minutes plus chilling
- 50g hazelnuts
- 200g feta
- 1 tbsp. full fat yoghurt
- 1 tbsp. double cream
- black pepper
- 1 sprig of mint, leaves chopped finely
- cherry tomatoes, to serve
1. Place the hazelnuts on a dry frying pan and toast over low heat for 5-10 minutes until fragrant and a little scorched. Cool down and chop roughly.
2. Blitz the feta in a food processor with the yoghurt and cream. Scrape into a bowl, mix in black pepper to taste and the chopped mint. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Serve as a dip or – my favourite way – spooned onto cherry tomato halves.
NEW recipe finder
Ingredients lying around and no idea what to cook with them? Then use my NEW Recipe Finder for inspiration!
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published
You are subscribed to push notifications.
You have unsubscribed.
We'd like to notify you about the latest recipes and updates
You can unsubscribe from notifications at any time