blanket de veau
Fri, 12 September, 2014
⯆ JUMP TO RECIPE
Easy recipe for blanquette de veau, veal casserole, or as I called it: blanket de veau. This recipe has the veal chunks seared in the pan and then baked in the oven with dried wild mushrooms and cream.
I got some diced English rose veal from my butcher’s and thought I’d make blanquette de veau. How haute cuisine and poncey that sounds, eh? Two things have transpired this morning however: one - when I opened my veal vacuumed pack it turned out the meat was diced VERY SMALL. Not good chunks as I’d imagined. Tiny. Almost scraps.
Secondly – when I looked up aforementioned blanquette I realised the meat is supposed to be BOILED. Bleeeuuurgh. Boiled meat does not sound appealing even though the end product might be delicious. I also imagined fishing out those tiny scraps from boiling stock and decided I’d apply my own method. And so, since I cannot frankly call my dish blanquette I called it BLANKET DE VEAU. It was delishhh still.
blanket de veauServings: 2Time: about 2 hours
- a generous handful of dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 pound diced rose veal, trimmed of fat and other nasty stuff
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp plain flour
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- oil and a little butter for frying
- 1 tbsp. double cream
2. Soak the porcini in boiling water well ahead of making the dish.
3. Season the veal with salt and pepper and sprinkle some flour to coat it. Drain the porcini, reserving the liquid, and chop roughly.
4. Heat up a tablespoon of oil and a knob of butter in an oven-proof casserole dish, add the veal pieces. Fry the meat, stirring, until all the pieces are browned.
5. In the meantime preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas 6.
6. When the meat has browned, add the mushrooms and the reserved soaking liquid. The meat should be just covered. Add the garlic and thyme, bring to the boil, cover with the lid and transfer to the oven for about an hour.
7. When you look in next, there should be very little liquid left by that time. Stir in the cream and put the dish back in the oven for another 15 minutes.
8. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.