Tue, 14 March, 2017
A variation on a no-knead, this is a no-knead and no-shape bread. I’m tempted to say no-mix either but I’m afraid that bit is required.
No-miracles though to be expected - and I know I’m not selling this very well but I’m pre-empting any caveats. If you want super-tasty, airy, crusty or chewy well-risen loaf - then for God’s sake you’ll need (pun intended) to put some elbow grease into the enterprise. No pain, no gain.
But it’s a good option when you’re feeling particularly lazy, that’s why I called it lazy bread. The idea is lifted from Bakery Bits blog with my slight tweaks of the water and oil content.
lazy breadServings: 1 small loafTime: 18 hours
- For the starter:
- 6g (0.35 oz.)fresh or ½ tsp instant yeast
- 50g (½ cup) wholemeal flour
- 50g (¼ cup) warm water (30C/86F)
- For the main dough:
- 450g (1 7/8) cup) warm water (30C)
- 250g (2 cup) strong white bread flour
- 250g (2 cup) wholemeal flour
- 10g (1½ tsp) fine salt
1. The whole process takes about 18 hours so to have freshly baked bread for breakfast at 9, make the starter the previous afternoon, around 2-3 pm.
2. To make the starter, simply mix together the ingredients in a bowl. Cover it with cling film and leave on the kitchen worktop.
3. At 9-10 that night, so 7-8 hours later, add the main dough ingredients to the starter - it should be puffed up and bubbly at that point. Mix it all well with a wooden spoon or a dough mixer if you have one, then transfer to a well-oiled bowl - it will be easier to pour it into the Dutch oven if it sits in an oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with a wet tea towel and leave in the kitchen overnight.
4. The next morning heat the oven to 220C/425F/gas 7 and put in a Dutch oven or a cast iron casserole dish about 20cm in diameter. Heat it empty for 20 minutes.
5. When really hot, sprinkle the bottom with semolina and plonk the dough in - don’t worry if it doesn’t take the correct shape straight away. Put the lid on and bake for 25 minutes. Take the lid off and continue for another 20 minutes. Leave the bread in the dish for 30 minutes before taking it out.