blood orange muffins
Thu, 4 June, 2015
What's wrong with people? All of a sudden, or so it seems, blood oranges turn up in supermarkets under a different moniker. BLUSH. Blush oranges. Is 'blood' not a politically correct word now? Whose sensibilities can it possibly offend? And it's not even adequate because the oranges are deep crimson not pale pinky.
Am I supposed to turn up at the A&E and say I've had an accident and I'm blushing? Blush, sweat and tears? It's in your blush? Blush is thicker than water? Blush relations? Blushy hell. Just when you thought PC couldn't go any more mad.
What I still call BLOOD ORANGES is gorgeous fruit. They need to be dark ripe red inside - if supermarket bought, let them wait a week before cutting and juicing them.
These muffins could well be made with ordinary oranges but for the pleasure of handling that lovely fruit, use blood. BLOOD. Not blush. Recipe courtesy Good Food Magazine.
blood orange muffinsServings: 12 muffinsTime: 40 minutes
- 300g plain flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 175g caster sugar
- 2tbsp poppy seeds
- zest of 2 blood oranges
- 1 large egg
- 200ml milk
- 5tbsp vegetable oil
- juice of 1 blood orange
- For the drizzle:
- zest of 1 blood orange
- 140g granulated or caster sugar
- juice of one blood orange
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas 6. Butter a 12 hole muffin tin or line it with paper cases.
2. In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients: the flour, baking powder, caster sugar, orange zest and poppy seeds.
3. In another bowl whisk together the milk, egg, oil and orange juice.
4. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and fold in quickly, don’t overmix, the batter should be lumpy and bits of flour still showing.
5. Spoon the mix into the tin or cases and bake for about 15-18 minutes – until a skewer inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean. In the meantime mix the zest with the sugar for the drizzle, rub it in well with a spoon so no lumps are showing.
6. Cool the muffins in the tin for a couple of minutes, remove onto a wire rack.
7. Mix the orange juice for the drizzle with the orange zest and sugar mix and spoon over each muffin, repeating until it’s all used up.