+ JUMP TO RECIPE
Sausage rolls in puff pastry - these take minutes to prepare and taste better than any shop-bought. Use best quality sausages and good all-butter puff pastry.
Homemade – or rather home assembled. A twist more than a recipe. Adventurous as I am, I don’t make my own puff pastry, even celebrated master bakers say it’s perfectly fine to use good quality shop bought stuff.
The twist is to use sausages instead of sausage meat. That way you get sausage rolls in whatever flavour you like – or whatever your butcher fancied to throw in. My butcher makes a dizzying variety of sausages: bacon and leek, honey and mustard, tomato, tarragon and porcini mushrooms, so I can make different flavour sausage rolls every time.
sausage rollsServings: 2Time: 30 minutes
- 1 all butter puff pastry sheet
- 2 best quality sausages
- beaten egg to brush on top
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/gas 7.
2. Remove the casing from the sausages and place them (two side by side) on the edge of the pastry sheet. Roll up, brush the edge with beaten egg and seal well.
3. Make a couple of incisions across the top of the pastry and brush with egg.
4. Place the sausage rolls on a small baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and puffy.