baked buttermilk oatmeal
Thu, 18 May, 2017
Breakfast is so controversial these days that I don’t know if I dare post this recipe under the ‘breakfast’ tag. For years if not centuries we’d been told that is the key meal of the day, the one you should eat like a king (lunch like a prince and dine like a pauper). The principle made thousands of greasy spoons, sold millions of cereals and launched a thousand ships – okay, perhaps except the last one.
It used to be the top commandment for weight loss, for healthy lifestyle, even for clean eating. It was one unquestionable axiom that Mosley, Atkins, Dukan and Pollen all agreed on. It staged the porridge comeback and gave birth to the chia smoothie.
And now what? It appears to be the killer, or at least the scourge of diabetics; or at least the sugar-loaded options are. According to Terence Kealey, ‘Breakfast is a Dangerous Meal’ and fast is healthier than breaking it as it stops glucose levels from going sky-high and, conversely to age-old wisdom, aids everything from weight loss to reduced blood pressure.
Ah well. This thing below is fantastically delishhh. Just have it for brunch.
baked buttermilk oatmealServings: 2-4Time: 45 minutes
- 50g (¼ cup) light brown soft sugar
- 55g (¼ cup) coconut or groundnut oil
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 125g (1 ¼ cup) rolled oats
- 80g (1/3 cup) buttermilk
- 3 heaped tsp of your favourite jam
- a little butter for the dish
1. Mix the sugar with the oil in a bowl, add the cinnamon, salt and the bicarbonate of soda. Stir in the rolled oats and the buttermilk until it comes together.
2. Butter the sides of a small gratin dish, 18 x 13cm (7 x 5 inch). Alternatively use 4 individual ramekins. Spread the jam on the bottom of the dish and spoon the oats mix on top. Smooth the surface with a spoon.
3. Bake in the oven preheated to 180C/350F/gas 4 for about 30 minutes until golden and crisp on top. Leave it to stand for 10 minutes and tuck in. Also great with a dollop of yoghurt.
4. Check out other great breakfast recipes on RecipeLion!