Sat, 2 April, 2016
I have joined the brigade of trendy breakfast eaters, having grilled avocadoes, perfecting the porridge and filleting grapefruits – although the last is boring old school stuff. I haven’t yet got to natto with miso soup but hey, that won’t scare me. I’ll draw a line though at amaranth or quinoa – vile, evil stuff both of these. Only fit for people who eat to punish themselves.
Now couscous, admittedly is not quite as healthy as it seems, being basically pasta rather than grain, but it also keeps you going as a slow burner. It wouldn’t be me if some raisins and treats weren’t thrown into it but surprise – they are actually rather surplus. I ended up picking them out. Well I didn’t. But next time, no raisins.
Honey and yoghurt are a must though – in fact, another brilliant breakfast is just plain yoghurt with honey drizzled over. That’s hardly a recipe so it will not come about here but do, do give it a try.
breakfast couscousServings: 1 indulgent breakfastTime: 10 minutes
- For one person, generously
- 80g couscous
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 10g (a spoonful) of raisins or sultanas
- a few chopped almonds
- 80g (90ml) whole milk
- a small knob of butter
- 2 tsp runny honey plus more to serve
- Greek yoghurt to serve
1. In a bowl, combine the couscous, cinnamon, raisins and almonds.
2. Bring the milk to the boil with the butter and honey (1 min in a microwave) and pour over the couscous. Cover with cling film and leave for 10 minutes.
3. Uncover, fluff up with a fork and serve with yoghurt and extra honey.